[TriLUG] laptop battery replacement, where to buy?

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 18:26:05 EDT 2011

John, what was the eBay seller's feedback rating?

Less than 99% is poor.  99.5% means they work hard to satisfy their
customers.
99.7% means they work VERY hard to satisfy their customers.

My advice: pay a little extra to buy from someone with an excellent feedback
rating.

Dave

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, John Brier wrote:
>
>  so Trilug, can you recommend a reputable place to find a replacement
>> battery for less than what Asus offers directly?
>>

> Not exactly an answer...
>
> Make sure you know the expected mAH for the battery you do buy (ie ignore
> the adjectives "super long lasting" etc). It's a defined number - you can
> check it with acpi when the battery arrives (it will be on the label too).
> Some of the ads on ebay don't state capacity.
>
> I used to get batteries from ebay, but the last batch of batteries came
> from China (there were none offered from the US), were wrong and didn't fit.
> The vendor promised to pay shipping back, but after they arrived back at
> vendor's, I had to hound them for a refund and never got the shipping.
>
> ebay and paypal weren't helpful, and said that it was my responsibility to
> ship them, even when they were wrong. They weren't interested in the
> vendor's e-mail saying they'd pay for the return shipping.
>
> So I don't know where I'm going to get my next batteries. I get my UPS gel
> cells from Batteries Plus. Even though they're twice the price as the ones
> from ebay, they last twice as long, and I save the replacment time. However
> their laptop batteries are twice the price on ebay and they don't even have
> the high capacity batteries. I'm not real excited about paying $200 for a
> battery for a $400 laptop. However with the cost of the batteries from China
> (return shipping, aggravation), it still might be better to buy from
> Batteries Plus.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!
>
> --
> This message was sent to: Dave Burton <ncdave4life at gmail.com>
> TriLUG FAQ          :

“If anyone thinks the words ‘government’ and ‘efficiency’ belong in the same
sentence, we  have counseling available.”
- Sen. Paul Tsongas (D-MA)