[TriLUG] Building a beowulf (or other) cluster

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Mar 28 14:06:19 EDT 2011

You can just use Postgres as your synchronization mechanism and the
work queue. Let's say you have a table of vehicles. This table would
contain all the info about the vehicle conditions + two more columns:
last_selected_on and processed_on (+ value, or whatever output you'd
need).

Each server then runs a process that (1) locks the vehicles table, (2)
selects 20 vehicles at a time and updates their last_selected_on
timestamps, (3) unlocks the table. In this very short operation, each
server marks a batch of 20 vehicles as "I am going to process these."
Once it is done processing them, simply update each record with the
value and set the processed_on to CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

The only caveat here is that some batches might get started but then
the server might crash. Thus, you probably want to periodically clear
out the value of last_selected_on (for example WHERE last_selected_on
< CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - INTERVAL 1 HOUR AND processed_on IS NULL). You
could for example run this on every node every 10th time it is
selecting its batch of 20 vehicles.

This way the processing nodes are completely self-managed and you
don't need a separate controller. Just feed requests into the vehicles
table and wait for someone to process the results.

Igor