[TriLUG] OT: ATT UVerse internet access

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Wed Mar 30 15:29:06 EDT 2011

On 3/30/11 3:10 PM, Chris Merrill wrote:

> They installed it on Friday.  Surprisingly, the installers were quite experienced and
> were willing to do a little extra work to get the wiring run the way I wanted.  When
> finished, the upload speed tested at 2.8Mbps!  Download speed was in the neighborhood
> of 25Mbps...I don't recall exactly.

I had the same experience. In fact they spent several hours running
around in my attic and fixing TWC's previous mistakes in order to get
the line quality necessary. I was quite pleased at the attention to detail.

> For anyone else considering the service - there is one "gotcha" to look out for.  AT&T
> blocks outgoing connections to port 25.  I need to send work e-mails through our server,
> not theirs, so this is a critical issue for me.

I got around this by using the 'submission' port. Modern UNIX MTAs have
this turned on by default. It is basically just
SMTP-with-authentication-by-default; no relaying. The well-known port is
587. See RFC2476.

The only other annoyance as far as I'm concerned is having to use their
enormous router thingie in NAT mode instead of the usual cable modem
bridge connected to a WRT54GL with custom firmware which I prefer. In
practice it just means that I have to open inbound ports in another place.

--bak