[TriLUG] GoDaddy CEO shoots elephant...

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 21:46:11 EDT 2011

The population of elephants in some parts of Africa is so large that
even the WWF thinks that culling is a reasonable tool for managing
population size[1].  Zimbabwe's population is huge, at 88000 in
2002[2] and 100,000 in 2009[3].  We should be happy that conservation
efforts for elephants have been so successful.

Call it sport, call it protection of farmland, call it culling, but I
don't think there's anything illegal or shady going on here.  I do
smell FUD spread by some who are looking to profit from a scandal.
Sure it's in poor taste to make a production out of it, but since when
has GoDaddy or Mr. Parsons been known for good taste?  There are lots
of reasons to leave GoDaddy, but misinformation just leads to bad
decisions.  If you want a registrar that works well, and stays out of
your face, I like 123cheapdomains.com.

[1] http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/25/AR2008022500970.html
[2] http://elephantpopulationcontrol.library.uu.nl/paginas/txt07.html
[3] http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5537002.ece

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> I know this is 1 Apr, but this story is linked from a few places (see google
> for the subject line). The story isn't in /. which makes me wonder, but it's
> in the NYT.
>
> The CEO Bob Parsons posted a video of himself shooting an elephant in
> Zimbabwe.
>
> This story
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/godaddy-ceo-shoots-elephant-injures-brand-20110401-1co0o.html
>
> says that
>
> Namecheap.com will transfer your domain for $4.99
>
> This one
>
> http://consumerist.com/2011/03/godaddys-elephant-hunt.html
>
> says that the CEO's hunt is an annual event.
>
> I chose godaddy as my registrar because all the others had been terrible.
> Recently I switched to godaddy and paid for 10yrs to then be bombarded with
> spam. So I didn't have any love of godaddy from the start.
>
> Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!
> --
> This message was sent to: Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com>

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com