[TriLUG] Ubuntu, Nvidia and the Freeze or Black Screen

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 13:42:41 EDT 2011

Boot the box to a terminal, check to see if there are 2 xorg.conf files in
place.
One of them is the good one. Rename the oldest one to something else;
"xorg.confOLD; xorg.confBKP". Don't delete it, as you may need to copy
over some details to the new one.

Are you using the nvidia control panel to save settings? If so it will
give you a parsing error when you try to save and the xorg is wrong.

If both of the drivers are installed, this can lead to the same/similar
issue.

We had these issues with some IBM desktops that used nvidia cards.
When a new update would install the new video drivers, we'd get a black
screen.
And actually, right now I can't remember whether it was the old xorg file
that worked versus the new one ... sorry, weird day.