[TriLUG] ATT UVerse router [Was: TWC in RTP - 30/5 for $54.95/mo]

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Sun Apr 10 19:27:52 EDT 2011

On 4/10/2011 5:43 PM, Carl Crider wrote:
> I did the same thing. The the installer took care of it while here.
> He mentioned that the Wi-Fi on these boxes "isn't ready for
> prime-time", and it's best to use your own. So far, so good.
>
> http://www.speedtest.net/result/1246004702.png

FWIW, the 2Wire 3800HGV-B that AT&T UVerse provided seems half decent. I get good wireless
coverage around the house - maybe about the same as I got with my 54g.  The networking
config options are not bad - makes it pretty easy to apply simple firewall rules to
each machine on the network. It has presets for various servers (HTTP, SSH, POP3, SMTP, etc),
gaming (long list of popular games), A/V (Slingbox, NetMeeting, etc), messaging (Gnutella,
KaZaa, etc) and others (remote desktop, timbuktu, etc) and you can define your own
application profile (TCP/UDP, port range, timeouts, port mapping) and then apply it as
well.

Overall, it's a lot better than I had expected. I was planning to get it set to bridge
mode and use my 54g, but now I'm thinking I'll leave it as is.  The only thing missing
is DynDNS support, but I think my IP is static with UVerse, anyway, so I don't really
need that from the router anymore.

Chris

p.s. I was surprised to see that the DVR they provided is a Cisco.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services