[TriLUG] Routing question

Jonathan Woodbury jpwoodbu at mybox.org
Thu Apr 14 13:47:20 EDT 2011

+1 for IPv6.  Once again, NAT is causing trouble.

There's good IPv4 advice in this thread so far.  But I really want to
stress that setting up IPv6 at home is really not very hard.  I would
highly recommend http://tunnelbroker.net.  You could be setup today!
Once you've done that, the rest could be as simple as firing up a
teredo tunnel when at Panera and accessing devices on your home
network directly.  I've been using the miredo package in Ubuntu for
teredo tunneling.  You install it, you start it, you're on the IPv6
Internet.

If you want to firewall your home network from IPv6 traffic, you can
probably still use a VPN solution, but with IPv6 addressing so you
never have to worry about conflicts or doing maintenance on your
routing table each time you want to use your VPN from a conflicting
network.

This is a great excuse to dig into IPv6 and I seriously doubt you'll
regret doing so.

Jonathan