[TriLUG] Recommend hardware inventory/asset tracking system

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 10:58:01 EDT 2011

Greetings all,

We are looking for a hardware inventory management system for our lab.  We have lots of pieces/parts (HBAs, NICs, servers, network switches, etc) and need a good database system to track all the gear.  We would like to use a system with scanner and asset tags to make the inventory process go faster.  I have seen/used some scanner devices that hook into a laptop via USB which seemed to work very well (as opposed to a special scanner device).  We would like to tie the inventory database into our other systems, so tools that use open-source DBs are preferable (MySQL, Postgres, etc).

Thanks for any pointers...

Thanks,

-Ron
rkelleyrtp at gmail.com