[TriLUG] Slightly-OT: Firewalls

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:40:10 EDT 2011

For what its worth, pfSense has both DNS and DHCP functions built-in.  And, you *can* run snort as long as you have enough horsepower.  As mentioned before, I have a *few* pfSense firewalls running in the field that easily handle firewall + ipSec + DNS + DHCP + RRD graphing + SNMP + ...  With the right hardware, you can even configure your pfSense box to become a wireless access point.

For me, the biggest advantage of pfSense is usability.  Once you understand how to configure firewall rules, configuring VIPs, site-to-site ipSec connections, failover pfSense boxes, DDNS, etc become a snap.  Plus, there are a ton of add-on packages for pfSense including snort, haproxy, squid proxy, country block, FreeSwitch, ...

I used to strictly be a Cisco ASA person until I found pfSense.  Now, I must have a very convincing argument to get a Cisco ASA instead of a pfSense box.

Oh, did I mention pfSense is free?

-Ron