[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Aaron Schrab aaron at schrab.com
Tue Apr 19 17:18:33 EDT 2011

At 22:07 -1000 17 Apr 2011, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
>> If there's the IP equivalent of Local Number Portability, lemme know.

>I think the answer to your question is "DNS".

Does anybody know of tools to help set this up a DNS zone with AAAA
records for hosts on a local network that have been setup using IPv6
autoconfiguration?  Somewhat similar to how dnsmasq will do for IPv4
with DHCP.

I'm sure that something could be done with having each host update its
own DNS record using BIND's dynamic DNS support, but it would be a pain
to have to maintain that on each client.  It could also be difficult to
get that working on OS X and Windows, let alone appliances.  Although
most appliances don't need to have resolvable host names, it would be
nice to be able to do a reverse lookup on those.