[TriLUG] question about data security with vmdks

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Wed Apr 20 09:31:13 EDT 2011

Hi,
I don't think deleting or quick format will do much to prevent someone
recovering your vmdk images.  If someone bought the drive and started
inspecting it for existing data, then they are not just a casual PC
user and so will probably find what you have "hidden".  It's better to
be safe, you'll sleep better at night.

There are various linux tools that can help, like "shred", that will
overwrite your files with random data before deleting them.  Or you
can use good old "dd".

Bill