[TriLUG] IPv6 workshop

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Apr 20 14:25:13 EDT 2011

> The main reason that I'm interested in using IPv6 is so
> that I can access some services at home the same
> whether I'm at home or elsewhere.

There's a big difference between allowing YOURSELF to access
stuff at home and allowing OTHERS to access it.

If you just want to get in yourself, then I recommend openvpn
or "ssh -D home.example.com" (a SOCKS tunnel).

Personally, I firewall everything at my home router except
port 22.  If I want to access something at home, I use an
an SSH tunnel (and FoxyProxy, for automatic turning on/off
of the SOCKS proxy).  That sends DNS requests to my home
router, so all of my internal names resolve correctly.

Alan

.