[TriLUG] Good teaching distro? - FreeMac

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Apr 26 07:59:09 EDT 2011

> My wife has asked me to teach her Linux. Famous last words, I'm sure,
> but I think this has the potential to go okay.

It really depends on if she wants to learn Linux from an end-user
perspective, or from a tinkerer's perspective.

If she just wants to USE Linux, I would recommend going as mainstream as
possible. These days, that would be Ubuntu [1]. A lot of magazine/web
articles are written from the Ubuntu perspective, and so those would be
applicable immediately without any "translation". And they do a fair job
of hiding unnecessary details from the novice (while still leaving in
plenty of flexibility once she gets more comfortable).

If she wants to tinker under the hood, then she really would not be
asking you to teach her, would she?

Alan

[1] Which I am starting to refer to as "FreeMac".
.