[TriLUG] Good teaching distro?

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:19:43 EDT 2011

+++ Linux in a Nutshell ... this book is always nearby.

I'd suggest reviewing some of the ground-up build tutorials over at
www.howtoforge.com

Matt's suggestion of LFS (Linux From Scratch) is a good one. I did an LFS
build a few years
ago, and learned more about the "whys" than in previous years. If you have a
system that she
can tinker with and make mistakes (both intentional & unintentional) on,
then go for it. Before
you know it, you may have another sysadmin in the house. Then you can argue
about money,
AND the proper way to mount an NFS volume.

:)