[TriLUG] battery life [ Was Re: laptop battery replacement, where to buy? }

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Mon Jun 6 16:49:29 EDT 2011

Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> writes:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
[...]
> I have no idea why the change in charging regime hasn't helped my
> battery life. I can't imagine that the charts are made up. The battery
> university site measures life of the battery in charge/discharge
> cycles (if you discharge/charge 20% for 5 times, it's counted as 1
> cycle). I'm not cycling my battery. It stays at 80% for nearly all the
> time.

I can't remember where I read it, but what settled the issue was this
more reasonable sounding advice: it's not good for the battery for it to
sit fully charged for a long time.  It's also not good to drain it every
day.  Therefore keeping it between 30% and 80% should be a good
guideline for regular use.  If you're not going to use it for a few
days, you shouldn't charge it all the way.  If you're going to use it,
having it charged below 30% means you run the risk of draining the
battery while you're on the bus.

I generally charge mine all the way up when it gets below 20% if I'm
near an outlet; I use the laptop almost every day.  About an hour
charges it all the way from 20%-30% to 99% (this is an x100e).

Thanks for doing the research!

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj