[TriLUG] Home DNS

fumiko fumiko at trilug.org
Thu Jun 23 13:22:04 EDT 2011

> No, the registrar's entry for your domain points to Domain Name Servers
> (a/k/a DNSs or "nameservers"), somewhere.
>
> (I'm recommending that you use ZoneEdit for your DNSs, but most folks use
> the DNS provided by their hosting company.)
>
> The DNS contains entries like "A Records" and "MX Records."
>
> If you have two domain names, and you want the 2nd one to be equivalent to
> the first, then instead of duplicating everything, you can just use a CNAME
> record for the 2nd one, which "aliases" it to the 1st.  That's commonly
> used, for example, if your main domain is myorganization.org, but you also
> bought the myorganization.com domain because you know that many people get
> 'em mixed up.  So you use a CNAME record for myorganization.com.

So, I did this last night and basically followed David's advice.  I
pointed GoDaddy at ZoneEdit, populated the ZoneEdit A Record with my TWC
dynamic address and an MX record pointing to Google.  It all works
fine.  I created a CNAME to point mail.mydomain to my Gmail dashboard, too.

Also, there was some question about ZoneEdit updates from routers.  I
use DD-WRT, which provides in-built support for DynDNS, ZoneEdit, and
about 8 others as well as a custom field to craft your own URL.

I was stunned how quickly the DNS changes propagated, too.

Thanks everyone!