[TriLUG] OT -- NASA Shuttle Launch Today

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Fri Jul 8 13:28:28 EDT 2011

On 07/08/2011 01:15 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> A shuttle launch to the ISS is at an inclination of 51.6deg,

You're right.  They're burning more fuel to make that angle, but the
orbital plane is being set during the launch, not afterward as I was
thinking.

The two days appears to be taken up by the maneuvering changes that are
still needed to bring the Orbiter and ISS into alignment:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/military/read.main/84859#4

"The Space Station itself is not flying directly over Launch Pad 39A at
that moment. Waiting for such a coincidence would limit launch
opportunities to only a few times a year. Instead, the Shuttle goes into
the same orbit as the Station and then speeds up or slows down to catch
up with the Station. That usually takes two days (the Russians do it the
same way with Soyuz and Progress spacecraft.)"

--Brian

--

And yet less thanks have we than you.  Users scowl at us, and reporters
give us scornful names.  "Geek" I am to one fat man who lives a firewall

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
       http://www.eviloverlord.net