[TriLUG] OT -- NASA Shuttle Launch Today

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jul 8 14:32:09 EDT 2011

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Neil L. Little wrote:

> There are several reasons for the 2 day period. (During
> Gemini missions the did it in one day)

I was at KSC for the previous launch and saw on display one
of the Gemini capsules. In one mission, two guys sat in this
thing for 14days. There wasn't room to straighten your body,
move your elbows sideways or raise your arms over your head.
It was worse than being in a plane. It was almost like being
in an MRI machine. These guys had to work, eat, sleep and
crap while being more confined than if they were in a
hospital bed. I had never realised how claustrophobic the
early space craft were. I have renewed respect for the early
astronauts.

Joe