[TriLUG] Anyone here know much about kernel programming?

Len Boyle Len.Boyle at sas.com
Mon Jul 11 14:40:19 EDT 2011

No matter what the filesystem one does have to worry about open files and a consistent view of data. The application can have data in memory that it only writes to disk at app shutdown time. Sometimes this may require working with multiple apps across multiple systems.
Some apps have a command to generate a  consistent view on disk.
Some apps have a command to generate a backup stream of data.
For example Oracle Rman command.

If you were using Solaris or Freebsd you could look at zfs. I am not sure if Open Solaris is still an option. One group did fork off a copy.

There is also Oracle's  btrfs. See https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page