[TriLUG] (repost) Pretty-OT: Question for GPL knowledgeable folks

Joel James Adamson joeljamesadamson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 15:34:59 EDT 2011

"Brian Henning" <lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com> writes:

> My cause for pondering is thus.  If I include the text of the GPL in
> my port, include prominent credit to the current and past maintainers,
> and make source code easily available, is the GPL satisfied

AFAIK that would violate the GPLv3.  It might not violate the GPLv2.

In my experience Peter Brown, Richard Stallman and Bradley Kuhn are all
quite approachable and helpful, so you should probably take your
question straight to the FSF.  They've helped me a lot with similar
questions.

> *even though other people that aren't registered XBLIG developers
> can't make any real use of it at all*?

If they can't legally make use of the code, then that might present some
problems.  Are you just hoping to provide a game that people can play?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab -- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Please use my new gmail address: <joeljamesadamson at gmail.com>