[TriLUG] Really OT: maples turning yellow

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Aug 3 11:49:15 EDT 2011

This perhaps be answered by people living in or visiting the
Blue Ridge area...

In the last 2 weeks, with the temps in the high 90's or
above, the leaves on the maples on the American Tobacco
Trail, where I ride my bicycle, have started to turn yellow
and fall. None of the other trees are doing this.

Since it doesn't get cold here till Oct, the trees still
have 2 months for growth. It's hard to imagine that right
now any living thing would be preparing for winter. Two
reasons why maples might be shedding leaves.

o the leaves are triggered by photoperiod. We're getting a
14hr day now. If maples are genetically optimised for living
at 50-60degN, then a 14hr day would occur in early Sep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_day_of_year.png

when it would be getting quite cold.

o the maples, not being designed for heat, are shedding
leaves to conserve water, and are not responding to
photoperiod. In this case maples at the same latitude, but
in cooler or wetter environs, eg higher elevation (the
mountains to the west or in VA) would not be shedding
leaves.

Anyone know if in the mountains, maples started turning
yellow 2 weeks ago?

Joe