[TriLUG] Linux community link building campaign?

Christopher Covington cov at vt.edu
Sat Aug 6 11:29:59 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 23:29 -0400, Jeremy Davis wrote:
> Hey, does anyone know if there is any sort of link building strategy for
> Linux. I pulled some info on the proprietary competitors (see links below).
> It just seems like Linux should have an advantage here because of the
> community. Microsoft and Apple probably pay big money for their links. If
> everyone would hop on board and leave a backlink or two for Linux on quality
> sites it would make a difference. Especially if the links are on .edu sites
> for example.

I run some wikis where I've intentionally make all links followable, as
opposed to the rel="nofollow" found on a number of higher profile
MediaWiki installations. I'd be happy to put up useful links, but what
makes these portals useful (especially linux.org which is under
construction!)?

> http://siteanalytics.compete.com/linux.com+apple.com+microsoft.com/
>

> http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/apple.com
>

> http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/microsoft.com
>

> http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/linux.org
>

> http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/linuxfoundation.org
>

> I tried to put the info below in a table with 4 columns, I hope it makes
> sense.
>

> Alexa Traffic Rank            Sites Linking In   Global Rank        Rank in
> US
>
> apple.com                          139375                                36
> 26
>
> microsoft.com                  232551                                28
> 29
>
> linux.com                           6272
> 10293                   9608
>
> linuxfoundation.org         1400                                    64383
> 54404
>

> google.com                       704402                                1
> 1
>
> facebook.com                   1216699                             2
> 2
>
> twitter.com                       1029011                             9
> 8
>

> Lower numbers mean higher rank. For example Google is ranked number 1 which
> is the highest possible.

Cheers,
Christopher