[TriLUG] OT: IP subnetting question

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Aug 9 14:56:37 EDT 2011

Handy afternoon reading for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_gateway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork#Subnetting

The last of those is a bit complicated, so I'll summarize here to get
you started:
0) The last address in any subnet is used as the "broadcast" address,
ie. to communicate with all hosts on the subnet.
1) At least one address with in the subnet usually needs to be a
gateway, ie. a way to get off the subnet to other networks.  Typically
what you think of as your ISP's router, your "default gateway".
2) Most people don't use the first address in any subnet, for
legacy/ambiguity reasons.  See the 3rd link above about Subnetting for
links to RFCs and historical explanations.

Happy Subnetting!
Aaron S. Joyner