[TriLUG] OT tremor

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Tue Aug 23 17:40:09 EDT 2011

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:09:02 -0400, John Riselvato <jdriselvato at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was in geology class. I didn't notice it unfortunately, but everyone
> in my class was freaking out. Go figure that we would be in geology
> during this
> time, so rest of the class was based on this topic.

Around 1980 a neighbor of mine who was a seismologist at Harvard told me
that MIT seismologist Kei Aki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiiti_Aki )
would be giving a talk at MIT on the history of earthquakes in New
England. He thought I might like to attend. In the middle of Aki's talk
the building swayed with an earthquake! Everybody immediately ran over to
the seismograph room that had recorders telemetered from Boston College's
Weston Observatory. Aki was roundly congratulated for being able to cause
an earthquake to appear during his talk.