[TriLUG] Class seat available

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Tue Aug 30 20:00:11 EDT 2011

Magnus, I thought about whether to reply to this or not, but I think it is a
valid question posed as a statement. And I think it deserves some response in
the name of ALL trainers. I do not take this in any way personally and would
love to buy you a beer sometime.

The simple answer is that, if you can teach, you might be in the wrong business.
I love it and enjoy all aspects of it. But consider the following. Trainers work
very hard and not just during classes.

I have spent years creating coursework and doing training at IBM, Cisco, and
other places I have worked. I have had months of training in how to write
courses of all kinds and weeks of training in presentation skills.

The general rule of thumb is that it takes about one week of work to create one
hour of stand-up lecture / lab training - if you are doing it right. So for a 5
day class that is about 40 weeks. We are talking about real training here - the
nuts and bolts and not just the covers. I think it is important to teach WHY
things are done the way they are, and how to think about resolving problems in a
Linux environment, not just force-feed you a long list of commands to memorize.

And yes, it did take that long both then and now. For this class I created 492
slides and 62 pages of lab projects. All of this was created from scratch by me
and me alone. I am, after all, a 1 person company as are many independent
trainers. I will not purchase other companies' books such as the Linux+ for my
own classes because they do not cover what I think is really needed to do the
job of system administration on a day to day basis. I do teach those classes for
other folks, but never for myself or my own customers.

And while I do this I also have to market myself and my classes. And find the
money to keep my business running, including the web site email server, and high
speed internet connection. And I need to take the time to keep up with the
latest developments such as the fact that systemd is replacing init as PID 1 and
what that all means, and then working that into the course in a meaningful context.

Second, I have to pay for classroom space. It costs about $3000 - $8000 per week
to rent a fully equipped classroom. So I rent space from a friend who has some
available. Then I had to make the space suitable for a classroom. Purchase a
whiteboard, computers, a projector, laptop large enough to use VMs for
demonstrations, network switch and cables. And I always purchase the little
things that make every class more civilized such as bottled water and snacks.

I purchased a laser printer that does double-sided printing because it was less
expensive than having it copied and bound at any of the decent printing and copy
shops, so I also purchase binders and separator tabs. Little things that make
the final book easier to use. I duplicate DVDs and labels and apply the labels
and insert them in sleeves. And the time to do all this comes out of my store.

At the moment I have two seats in my classroom. I hope to generate enough
interest and business to add two more before next spring. I don't think I will
ever plan to teach more than 6 students at a time because I like to maintain the
ability to personalize my training. Each class has people with unique needs and
the individuals come to class with specific problems to solve and questions
related to those problems. It is my intent to answer each and every one, usually
so long as it falls withing the scope of the class and many times even when it
does not simply because that is where the students want and need to go.

And lastly, Magnus, I offer YOU the challenge and opportunity to take my class
in September (Probably the last one I will run this year) and pay me what you
think it is worth at the end. And then report back to this group what you really
think when it is over.

I would be happy to provide you with references from previous students if you
would like.

Thanks!