[TriLUG] Associate physical PCI slot with lspci?

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Thu Sep 29 09:57:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Ron Kelley wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am running CentOS 5.7 x64 and need a way to determine which cards have
> been inserted into which physical slots in a server.  I have a server in
> the data center with a 10G NIC reporting 1x PCI-E negotiation, but I am
> sure it is in the correct x8 slot (per the MB manual).  I tried using
> "lspci" to look for the physical slot number but did not find what I was
> looking for.  Without driving to the DC, how can I determine exactly
> which slot the card is inserted?

I don't believe that there is any physical slot number information that
you can obtain in software, and logical bus IDs don't always map to
physical slots in a reasonable way. Have you tried lspci -vv? It gives you
a lot more information about the PCI configuration. You may also find
lspci -t useful - it'll tell you which devices are hanging off of which
PCI bridges.

 			Alexey