[TriLUG] Linux-friendly wireless cameras (Tarus Balog)

Scott Connolly scott802 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:46:44 EDT 2011

Hi Tarus,

I have tried many, many cameras and really like the Panasonic BL line
of cameras. The must have feature for me was SSL support, I can log in
from anywhere and don't have to worry about my user/pass being
sent/sniffed in clear text. I have a few BL-C210A in my house for
security. They can email you based on motion (both in the image and
using the built in PIR), sound and/or a digital input you can wire to
anything. The BL-C210A is wired, but comes with its own POE injector,
so you can run the camera up to 100 ft away from the power source.
They also make a BL-C230A, which is wireless.

I use an IOBridge w/ Powerswitch tail kit to control power to the
cameras. I only power the cameras on when I leave my house and can
control power and view the cameras from my Android phone or any
computer. The cameras have a built in web server and are very easy to
view from any browser, including firefox and chrome. You can view the
cameras feeds and tilt/pan in the Android browser but for speed and
ease of login, I highly recommend an app called IP Cam Viewer.

I hope this reply is formated right, this is my first post to Trilug.

Regards,
Scott