[TriLUG] Lost memory

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Oct 20 19:03:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:00:00AM -0400, Pete Soper wrote:

> But before you switch over to 64 bit Linux consider using PAE (physical
> address extension). All 16gb will be visible and usable, you just won't
> be able to use more than 4gb in any one process. In many cases 4gb is
> still plenty big depending on your application. PAE has been available
> in 32 bit Ubuntu for a few years. My personal (10.04) system became more
> reliable and less frustrating with PAE (what do you mean, there's no 64
> bit version of <that>?).

Hmmm.  Which raises more questions.

That machine has three ( more than, but three that matter ) different kernels installed.

2.6.28-14-server  ( was running before the dist-upgrade )
2.6.38-11-generic ( currently running )
2.6.38-11-generic-pae ( what you are recommending, correct? )

What I can see when searching the available packages list says that the 2.6.28 server kernel is the only one that is available for this machine without doing a complete re-install, or possibly another dist-upgrade.

I suspect that the consensus would be to reboot into the 2.6.38 PAE kernel instead of the 2.6.28 Server kernel, or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Brian