[TriLUG] Scheduling Software

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Tue Nov 1 17:45:02 EDT 2011

I'm half-hesitant to offer this as a solution, but, fcron has been
pretty nice to me.  Hasn't updated in a year, but, hasn't really
barfed on me, either.

I picked it up from a time when we had Veritas Cluster shuffling
services around a loose cluster of bigirons, and the cronjobs needed
to move with them (this was pre-ESX/Solaris Containers).  Can't keep
all the jobs in one crontab and hope to maintain your sanity.  We did
fcron and got the jobs split into per-service chunks, and it didn't
matter how we moved the services around since fcron was then just
another process for VCS to bring up, after the LUNs, DB, app, etc.
Multiple fcrons with different fcrontabs on the same host is cool.

Dunno if that fits what you want, but, there you go.