[TriLUG] OT: Laptop Hard Drive

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Nov 18 13:59:13 EST 2011

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Alan Porter wrote:

> Instead, I would think it would be just as effective to format the
> filesystem and then create a large file using 'dd', letting the
> underlying encryption create random-ish blocks on the actual disk.

Encrypting a filesystem is useful if you loose your
laptop/flashkey, when you aren't around when the people find
your harddisk. However an encrypted filesystem is useless
going through TSA/DHS when they can just say "give us the
passwd or you're going to Gitmo". In this case you need
plausible deniability - "what encrypted filesystem? there's
no encrypted filesystem, that's just random deleted files".
I notice that you can have plausible deniability, but as you
would expect it's proportionately more difficult to setup.

Joe