[TriLUG] Project Space for Linux Distro

Justis Peters justis.peters at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:17:16 EST 2011

Very similar to github, there's gitorious:
http://gitorious.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gitorious

There's a lot of useful comparison info between the two here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/78991/why-is-github-more-popular-than-gitorious

I use github, mostly because the other projects I already use are on it.
Not the best reason, but it worked for me on the day I needed to choose.
I also use them for client projects and I'm very happy with the support
and reliability. I have not tried gitorious yet, so I cannot do a direct
comparison.

You may also want to visit this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

Most of these seem focused on more traditionally sized projects. Hosting
a distro is huge in comparison and could take lots of bandwidth. Of the
items listed above, gitorious would probably be the easiest to
repurpose. If nothing else, you can set it up elsewhere on your own domain.

You might consider approaching ibiblio. They're local and they already
host many distros:
http://www.ibiblio.org/software/distributions/
http://distro.ibiblio.org/

Also remember that bittorrent is your friend in terms of getting large
content, like a distro, distributed to lots of people efficiently.

Kind regards,
Justis