[TriLUG] Is it possible to drive a Radeon HD 4290 and GeForce GTX 550 Ti at the same time?

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Sat Dec 3 12:03:10 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Rob Fitch <rafitch71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I want to do:
> I want the HD4290 to run the display to my monitor. The GTX 550 Ti was
> added just to do GPU computing on BOINC projects.

Hi Rob,
This should be possible, especially since you only need one card for
actual graphics display.  Try this:

* Remove the card that you will use for GPU computing.
* Get graphics setup properly on the other card.
* Then get Xorg to generate an xorg.conf for you:
  sudo Xorg -configure
  cp ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/.
* Put the GPU compute card back in
* Load the drivers required for the GPU compute card

Sounds like a fun project, maybe we need a linux demo and trouble
shooting workshop soon.
Bill