[TriLUG] New computer...finally!

Jeff Schornick jeff at schornick.org
Sun Dec 4 16:18:10 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 15:38, David Burton <ncdave4life at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can get a "scratch 'n dent" Dell Inspiron 620 i5-2310 Sandy Bridge
> machine with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD at the Dell Outlet

I'll throw in my $0.02 and say these are great deals.  Don't fear the
scratch and dent or refurbished category.  I did some research before
picking up an i5 for my parents some months ago, and read nothing but
good things about the Dell Outlet store.  The machine which arrived
(S&D model) was in perfect condition.

Also, before you throw money into RAID(*) SSDs, you really have no
excuse not to be maxing out the RAM.  This generation of desktop
motherboards generally accepts 4x4GB, which is the cheapest
performance upgrade you can buy.

  - Jeff  (who doesn't have *any* drives in his current desktop)

(*) Really, at $2/GB, this should be RAED