[TriLUG] Is it possible to drive a Radeon HD 4290 and GeForce GTX 550 Ti at the same time?

Rob Fitch rafitch71 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 22:04:14 EST 2011

Well, now I feel silly. When I first got the GTX card I had tried to
just configure the HD4290 and insert the nvidia module for the GTX but it
wasn't working as it stated the module couldn't be found. After tinkering
for hours a couple months ago I got the GTX configured so the module would
load and be used as the main display. It wouldn't run as a dual monitor
though. It was in the realm of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So with
that in mind, when I would get a chance I would try to rearrange the
configuration and try different options but it would either not load X at
all or would go back to the GTX as it was the first device listed in the
xorg.conf. The one thing I forgot was that if there is a problem with the
configuration it tries to default to the first screen section listed... if
I remember that correctly.

Anyway, to make a long story short, all I did to fix my problem was move
the "Device" and "Screen" entries for the GTX in xorg.conf to be after the
entries for the HD4290. Sometimes you just need to go back to the beginning.

After a reboot, the HD4290 was displaying the login screen and an lsmod was
showing that the nvidia driver was still loading from the "Module" section
of xorg.conf. I didn't have to run insmod or modprobe. I just started boinc
and allowed work to commence. The first GPU job picked up was from the
MilkyWay project and that failed with a computational error so I was a
little concerned but then a GPUGrid job started and has been running for
almost 9 hours.

Thank you for your help. I think I've got it just the way I want it... for
now... until I get a new monitor with DVI input then I'll probably need to
rearrange the xorg.conf again to get the display from the DVI port instead
of the VGA port.

Thanks,
   Rob F.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM, <chapelhilllaptopshop at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're going to need the cuda driver if I'm not mistaken, pyrit requires
> it I know...
>

> http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/4_0/drivers/devdriver_4.0_linux_64_270.41.19.run
>
> http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/4_0/drivers/devdriver_4.0_linux_32_270.41.19.run
>
> Then (as has been said) just 'modprobe nvidia'?
>
> -Derek Linz
> --
> This message was sent to: Rob Fitch <rafitch71 at gmail.com>
> TriLUG FAQ          :

America's leadership must be guided by the lights of
learning and reason or else those who confuse rhetoric
with reality and the plausible with the possible will gain
the popular ascendancy with their seemingly swift and
simple solutions to every world problem.

----- President John F. Kennedy
Remarks Prepared for Delivery at the Trade Mart in Dallas
November 22, 1963