[TriLUG] Sun Ultra 5 freezes under load

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Wed Dec 7 13:06:14 EST 2011

Hi all,

This might be a long shot, but I'm not sure if the problem is specific to
the exotic hardware.

When the machine is under CPU load it will freeze (sending a break over
the serial console won't even bring up the openboot prompt) after about an
hour. The problem seems to be specific to the installation (i.e. not a
hardware problem) because I don't see this when it's booted with the
livecd. Also, it seems to be specific to CPU usage and not disk usage.
I'm not seeing anything interesting in the logs (probably because it
crashes before it can write anything).

Suggestions on what is going on/what I might do to figure out what's going
on?

Jack