[TriLUG] Offsite data backup/storage suggestions

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Wed Dec 14 15:09:44 EST 2011

s3fs + rsync + S3 is pretty nice.

tarsnap is great, even easier to use, and nicely paranoid. But it's also
twice as expensive as S3 and UNIX-only.

IMO the best is rsync.net, which is more like $0.80/GB. Run by a
hands-off-my-data fanatic on FreeBSD.

S3 is like the 72-function swiss army knife; rsync.net is like a freshly
stropped straight razor made with a handle made from woolly mammoth
ivory. ;)

Don't ever depend on just one strategy is the best advice you can get
when dealing with backups.

--bak