[TriLUG] postfix spam blocking

Jym Williams Zavada trilugj at jrwz.net
Fri Dec 16 14:54:42 EST 2011

Times have changed, expectations and needs have changed, but the design of
e-mail hasn't.  I still maintain that people are relying on e-mail in ways
for which it was never designed.  Hence the many problems we have with spam,
CEOs who complain about e-mail delays, and so on.  The sad fact of the
matter is that the current e-mail infrastructure really is due for a
complete overhaul, but it is unlikely to happen because we are already
depending on it too much.  It is in some ways similar to problems and delays
with the IPv6 rollout.  Unfortunately e-mail has no "SMTPv6" (and
corresponding client-side) standards even ready for implementation, forcing
everyone to make do with what we currently use, along with various "ad hoc"
solutions like domain keys, SPF, RBLs, greylisting, etc.  And as far as I'm
aware, there is little or no investment in an overhauled e-mail
infrastructure, so we're likely to continue using the current one for who
knows how long, in spite of all the problems.

-Jym Williams Zavada