[TriLUG] SAN file locking

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Dec 17 15:18:31 EST 2011

More succinctly, you use a SAN if you want to be able to:
1) aggregate the storage of multiple machines into one array of
physical disks, to reduce the overhead of RAID, capacity planning,
provisioning, etc.
2) near-instantly move the persistent storage of a critical
application between two machines (virtual, or otherwise)

The reasons you don't use a SAN are:
1) COST.

The design is wonderfully flexible, the hardware is often very well
made, the software is usually reliable, and you can make it as
reliable as your pocket book can handle.  Even the most basic setup is
going to come at a tremendous cost.  If you can design your system
such that you can avoid that cost, you should.  If you can't, a SAN
may be just the thing you need.

Aaron S. Joyner