[TriLUG] OT: Job Opportunity - Windows/Web Developer

Reginald Reed reginald.reed at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:14:30 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Jeff Schornick <jeff at schornick.org> wrote:
> I don't doubt the value of networking for a second... but how does it
> apply here?   Perhaps I'm missing the implied message, but I didn't
> get any indication that Roy has any experience working at the company
> or is willing to push a resume into the right hands.

When I read "a friend of mine has an opening" and "I know the owner
and he's a good guy" I *knew* it was networking.  Networking doesn't
always mean that someone is going to blatantly coming out and
immediately say they are going to push to get you a job.  Just the
mere idea of making you aware of the job is indeed networking.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that Roy would pass along a resume if
asked properly and the person indicated somehow that they were indeed
qualified.  Perhaps it's because I personally know Roy and currently
work with him.  It also could be that I've been out of work here in
the Triangle in the past and know the value of getting inside
information that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

> So we're simply
> left with a technically unrelated job posting for a company run by
> some guy's friend.  If that's what you call "networking" these days,
> times *are* harder than I imagined.

Yes, times have been and are still hard for some!

--Reggie