[TriLUG] [OT] Help - comparing bandwidth apples to pineapples

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Sat Jan 14 13:39:28 EST 2012

We've implemented packet prioritization on our firewall and I believe we've also
consulted FeatureTel for their advice.  At this point, I believe we've done
everything we can and these remaining periodic problems are outside our control.
I could be wrong, of course. It should be noted that I'm not the network admin
anymore, and this likely increases the odds that we've done it right :>

On 1/14/2012 11:37 AM, Paul G. Szabady wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Do you have any QoS (Quality of Service) settings on your router?  If so, have you attempted to make
> any adjustments to the priority level for your VOIP device?  While this won't help much on the
> internet, if you at least manage the traffic in/out of your router, it may help.
>
> --
> Paul
> @ Thy Service
>
> On 1/13/2012 3:45 PM, Chris Merrill wrote:
>> 1) VOIP issues (dropped packets, latency?)
>> We are using VOIP (FeatureTel).  Some days we experience a lot of drop-outs
>> during our calls.  This is very obviously a BAD thing in the middle of a sales
>> call with our customers.  We've taken various remedies, some have helped for
>> a while, but the problems come and go, making it hard to troubleshoot.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services