[TriLUG] Wireless Router Recommendations

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Sat Jan 14 14:06:01 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 11:47 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 10:00 AM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
> >> Thank you TriLUG! I decided to go for the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H. Though
> >
> > Once you have set this up and had a couple of weeks run time, would
> > you be able to give TriLUG a follow up ?  Either a quick post back to
> > this mailing list to say what you did and any problems encountered, or
> > you could do it as a TriLUG talk.
>
> I've had the Buffalo device for about a month now, and so far it's been
> a good device to have. I haven't experienced any problems with
> stability, which is something that was often reported in reviews on Newegg.

> I performed local bandwidth tests on the 2.4 GHz channel using iperf on
> my laptop. I tend to measure 40-44 Mbps. I was hoping to get higher
> speeds than that, but as it turns out some client devices are able to do
> channel bonding, and some are not. It seems that my laptop doesn't do
> that, but the Buffalo has it enabled. I'm curious as to what kinds of
> speeds can be measured with a client that is able to use more than one band.

Randy,

Thanks for the follow-up, this kind of real world experience really
helps everyone.

Can anyone suggest a PCIe (x1 lane) Wireless N card that is Linux
friendly that might pair up well with this for maximum performance?

I have an apartment where its unpractical to run a cable between my DSL
+TV+Media server and my desktop, so something like the Buffalo wireless
above could really help me.

Oh and Randy please let us know if you put DD-WRT on this.. That's a
major plus as well.

Cheers,

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services