[TriLUG] SSD-based NFS servers for production - ready for primetime?

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:36:27 EST 2012

Thanks for the reply Jeff!

We have two NFS servers with 8x 1TB RAID drives in RAID 5 on the Areca controllers.  As I mentioned before, they have been very reliable serving NFS clients over the past few years.  They were put in place mainly as a data repository for SVN, home directories, server backups, etc (typical slow-speed data requirements).   Recently, however, we started using them for everything including VM datastores, and they have struggled to keep up with the demand.  As usual, we tend to over-use technology in the infrastructure since it works so well (just add a **few** more VMs, etc).

As for the software RAID questions, I have used RAID-5 on Linux before with great success.  While RAID10 does out-shine RAID5 in performance, even software RAID5 can push much more traffic than our GigE interfaces can handle.  Plus, in a 6-disk array, I only burn the capacity of 1 drive instead of 3.

As for RAM, I have always been under the impression Linux NFS servers with hardware RAID controllers don't need much RAM to work efficiently since most/all the disk I/O is managed by the controller.  Perhaps this is not true?  Right now, I have 4G of RAM in both NFS servers and could easily add more.  But, will I gain any client read/write performance by doing so?

Thanks for the great questions,

Ron Kelley
rkelleyrtp at gmail.com