[TriLUG] Wireless Router Recommendations

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Mon Jan 16 14:10:44 EST 2012

On 01/16/2012 11:44 AM, Carl Crider wrote:
> Any issues/notes on the performance of this router when being used
> with WiFi cell phones?

Are you asking about the Buffalo, or the WNDR3700? I ask, since you
replied to the subthread about the WNDR…

As far as the Buffalo goes, I have noticed that I can only get about 20
Mbps down from the Internet on my Galaxy Nexus using the Android
speedtest.net app (I have a 30x5 connection). With my laptop, I am able
to get 30 Mbps on WiFi from speedtest.net, so it might be that my
phone's wifi is limited to 20 Mbps. I have not attempted any local
bandwidth tests between my phone and a local computer, mostly because I
don't know of an Android app off the top of my head that does it, and
I've been too lazy to search.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the 5 Ghz range does seem to be much
more limited than the 2.4 Ghz range is, and I can only test that with my
phone as my laptop is a sad Dell and cannot see the 5 Ghz band.