[TriLUG] book for kids on open source philosophy?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jan 19 10:28:29 EST 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> From there, he asked where he could read more about it,
.
.
> Unfortunately, most literature that I've run across, is
> directed toward adults.

I agree that this is the situation you're in.

One solution is to teach him (this is what adults are for
after all). Have a back and using his questions to determine
the level at which to pitch your answers.

You could talk about RMS and the printer, and about IBM in
the '60's, when scientists found that they had to write
platform independant code or else spend much of the next
hardware cycle (say 3yrs) rewriting their 100,000 line
Fortran simulation for each new machine. Then talk about how
the people who didn't learn from this fell into the waiting
arms of M$.

(I like Igor's and Carl's ideas too)

Having a resource available to answer questions can turn an
impossible task which won't be tackled into a project which
you can expect to succeed.

Joe