[TriLUG] Opensource dropbox or box.com & File sync.

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Fri Jan 20 12:22:19 EST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Randy Barlow wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 09:52 AM, Jym Williams Zavada wrote:
>> I've not used it myself, but I've heard of Coda, a distributed
>> filesystem with caching for mobile computing.  I don't know if it
>> supports Windows and OS X, though.  It's home on the web is
>> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ .
>
> Is this project actually maintained? I poked in their repo, and it looks
> like the most recent commit was a year ago, and their docs look like
> they were written in 2000.

I'm on their email list and it gets maybe 1 email/month. It could
definitely use more development, but as far as I know it works* (and the
original developers use if for their files.) I ended up not using it
because one of the semantics for allowing transparent offline access is
that a file is not available until the whole thing has been transferred
which was not good for large media files.

*At least on Linux they have an advantage against bitrotting that openafs
does not have in that the kernel part is in the main kernel tree.

Jack