[TriLUG] What are other Kmail users doing?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jan 23 09:21:15 EST 2012

Hi Greg,

I'd REALLY like to thank you for this suggestion, which turned out to
be THE turning point in my search for a new email client strategy. A
few hours of work with Gmail IMAP got me to a point of understanding
of what IMAP was, what it could do, and how various email clients
interacted with it. It proved the IMAP concept.

Upon understanding IMAP, I installed Dovecot and worked with that.
Over the next 2 weeks I'll research, test, and then convert, so that
my emails are kept, Maildir style on a special partition mounted
data=journal with a big honking journal, and are served out via my
Dovecot IMAP to whatever client I feel like using that day.

My knowledge level, on the day you sent this email, was insufficient
to set up Dovecot. But by following your suggestion about Gmail, I
learned enough to A) prove to myself that the IMAP solution was
workable, and B) to understand how to set up my own IMAP server on my
own desktop computer.

A big thank you to you Greg, and to all the others on this list who
helped me get out of my Kmail vendor lockin situation.

SteveT

* My new 99 cent Kindle book  :  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QTBLA2 *
*                 Steve Litt  :  http://www.troubleshooters.com      *

.