[TriLUG] CSS question

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 07:45:48 EST 2012

You may find the Web Developer tool for Firefox from
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/ useful
here. One of the features is to show the CSS that a particular item on
a page has assigned to it. After installing and restarting Firefox you
will have a new toolbar with a CSS entry. Under that is the View Style
Information. Select it and then click on your menu item that works and
a window at the bottom of the screen will open showing all the css
applying to it. Click on a menu item that doesn't work and view the
css for it. My guess you're going to find them different.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Justis Peters <justis.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/2012 06:26 PM, Brian McCullough wrote:
>>
>> Also understood.  I have been beating my head on this and other layout and
>> display issues in this code for several days, with other interruptions, and
>> was feeling that I should see if other eyes could offer suggestions.
>
> It sounds like your code has many moving parts. That's one of the reasons
> that I'm recommending that you isolate each piece until you figure out the
> root cause. Based on my cursory knowledge, I suspect the DHTML portions of
> the javascript. It's possible that the show/hide stuff is modifying the
> markup in ways that you don't expect.
>
> Another useful tool in debugging is Firebug for Firefox or one of the
> developer consoles in Chrome or Safari.
>
> Kind regards,
> Justis
>
> --