[TriLUG] Updates installed, system won't boot now

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed Jan 25 15:11:04 EST 2012

Brian,

It has been quite a long time since I have messed with the grub
configuration, but one thing from your message jumped out at me:

"set root=(hd0,6) *I have the root partition at /dev/sda6
> set prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub *I have a boot partition at /dev/sda1"

I am at work and unable to easilly confirm, but if I recall correctly,
grup partitions are 0 indexed.  In other words, your root partition would
be (hd0,5) and boot would be (hd0,0).

If you haven't yet, consider giving that a try.