[TriLUG] Updates installed, system won't boot now

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed Jan 25 15:52:54 EST 2012

Ok, knowing that we are dealing with grub2 helps clarify the path.
Looking Unfortunately, I am not nearly as familiar with it :(

Looking on the help pages, it looks like GRUB2 changed the indexing, so
your original partition IDs were correct.  This brings us to the
following, part below which matches your initial error.

Just to clarify, do you have /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg?

File Not Found (Error 15)

This error is the result of a GRUB 2 installation to /boot but a Master
Boot Record ( MBR ) that points to a different partition/location that
contains Grub Legacy. This can happen if you don't select your drive when
running sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy. Shortly after starting this command
the user will be asked to select the device (sda, sdb, etc). Highlight the
drive and press the space bar to select it when presented with this
screen. Failure to select a drive will result in an Error 15.

Reinstalling Grub2 and allowing the MBR to be changed so that it points to
the partition containing Grub2 can easily remedy this problem.

To recover from this error, GRUB 2 must be reinstalled. Go to Reinstalling
from the LiveCD for instructions.