[TriLUG] Updates installed, system won't boot now

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jan 25 16:33:01 EST 2012

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Brian Blater wrote:

> set root=(hd0,5)
> set prefix=(hd0,0)/boot/grub
> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
> I now get error: unknown filesystem.

grub v1.0 (or the original) had tab completion. So if you
had

set prefix=(hd0,0)/b

and you tabbed, and you were on the right disk and /boot was
there, then the tab would get you

set prefix=(hd0,0)/boot

If you're on the wrong partition, the tab won't tab. I
expect grub 1.99 is the same.

Can you look at your partition table and the content of
partitions from the liveCD to see if they're right.

There's a live CD called (I think) supergrub which will find
(almost) anything bootable and give you the option of
booting it

Joe